|Home » Locomotives & Trains » General Electric (GE) Ford Centercab Locomotive|
Summary: General Electric (GE) Ford Centercab Locomotive...
|Print of the General, Electric, (GE), Ford, Centercab, Locomotive ... Historic Artwork.|
#1700 was originally part of an 8-unit order by the Ford Motor Company. General Electric built the units at their Erie, PA, plant between 1937 and 1940 for switching operations at Ford's River...
| Continued from above... at Ford's River Rogue, Detroit, MI, plant. Ford's owner, Henry Ford, asked General Electric to model the new engines after Ford's popular Victoria car. #1000 and #1001 were lighter units at 125 tons with 900 horsepower. Centercabs #1002-#1007 were heavier at 132-tons with 1000 horsepower. Cooper-Bessemer GN6s powered the engines while later units used a GNL6 engine. |
Ford put the centercabs up for sale in the mid-50s as the River Rogue plant switched to newer power. One of the first prospective buyers was the Wellsville, Addison and Galeton Railroad (WAG). The WAG was incorporated in 1954 to purchase 91 miles of the former Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad trackage from the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad.
|Sunday 20 August, 2017||504320 requests since Sunday 06 April, 2008|